Are you searching for unique smoking equipment? Then you have reached the right place. A bong is the most suitable device for smoking weed. The term ‘bong’ is an adaptation of the Thai word, ‘Baung,’ used to describe a cylindrical wooden tube.
This smoking device needs to be maintained and cleaned with a bong cleaner for better performance and longevity.
Read on to know more about this accessory.
What is a Bong?
A bong is a water pipe that the people of Thailand initially used to smoke weed. It has also become popular in other Southeast Asian countries like Cambodia, Laos, etc. According to reports, in 2012, Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana for adults. This decision has led to the increasing popularity of cannabis in the states.
The following is the composition of a bong.
1) Bowl- It holds the weed/material. A metal, clay, or wooden bowl is used for this purpose.
2) Downstem- The downstem is a long tube that connects the bowl and the bong’s base. The smoke travels through this tube before reaching the base of the device.
3) Base- This holds all other parts together and also has an opening so water can be filled in it.
Bongs are available in different sizes, shapes, and designs. Modern-day bongs are usually cylindrical-shaped devices with a long tube at the bottom.
Many people prefer the design because water doesn’t contact weeds while smoking.
How to Use a Bong?
Bongs can be used in three simple steps-
1) Fill the bowl with the weed/material of your choice. You can also pack it down using a tool.
2) Cover the carb hole with your thumb and light the weed underneath. Keep smoke inside the chamber by not removing your thumb until you are done inhaling.
3) Uncover the carb hole and remove your thumb. It will cause the smoke to flow out of the bong quickly.
If you don’t want to lose any smoke, place your free hand by the stem opening. It helps to catch all smoke that is produced during inhalation.
Types of Bongs
There are an innumerable number of bongs available in the market today. All of them serve a different purpose and have unique characteristics. Some of these include:
The most common type of bongs is made from glass. They come in various colors, designs, and shapes. It is advisable to go for a big glass bong for beginners because it is easier to use.
This type of bong consists of multiple tubes at the side that are joined to form one tube at the bottom through which smoke passes. These tubes also have outlets instead of carb holes.
As the name suggests, these are attached to one side of the primary bong. It has a bowl and is used to store water.
Bongs with ice notches are perfect for people who like their weed extra cool. You can add some ice cubes while smoking to get the desired effect.
These types of bongs work on principles of gravity, unlike others. They are usually made from PVC, plastic, or similar materials. Gravity bongs are available in different sizes and shapes.
As the name suggests, these bongs have a waterfall-like structure. Water is filled in the base, and smoke passes through it before reaching the mouthpiece. One unique feature about this type of bong is that water doesn’t get dirty during usage because it remains inside.
These types of bongs have a percolator present inside them. The smoke passes through this percolator before reaching the bowl/mouthpiece.
Apart from cooling the smoke, the purpose of a percolator is to add more flavor and produce a smooth hit. Percolators can be made out of wood, metal, or borosilicate glass.
It is another type of bong that comes in different shapes and sizes. It has two separate parts- bowl/bowl cover, which can be removed when needed, and the primary device, which remains fixed during usage. The bowl cover usually has a carb hole on it.
Snap-on bongs are ideal for people who like to travel.
How to Clean a Bong?
Using a good bong cleaner is essential if you want bongs to last for a very long time. After every smoke session, clear the weed and material from the bowl with a paper towel or cloth.
A brush can also be used to clean the inside of the stem. If scrubbing with a brush is too difficult, make a cleaning nail.
To clean the exterior surfaces of your bong, fill it one-fourth with a bleach solution and four-fifth with water. Now shake it up for a minute and let the solution sit in the base for some time. Rinse it off with tap water thoroughly until you can no longer smell bleach.
You can also clean your bong with a salt and hydrogen peroxide solution. Mix a tablespoon of salt with a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a container.
Then fill the container with warm water and soak your bong in it for an hour. Rinse under tap water thoroughly to get rid of any traces of salt.
How to Take Care of a Bong?
Maintaining bongs is an integral part of owning this smoking device. You can easily do it by following these simple steps-
1) Keep the opening covered with your hands while taking hits, so smoke doesn’t escape.
2) Clean water from the base after every use, so there is no water overflow.
3) Store the bong in a cool and dry place
to not lose its shape.
4) Never leave your bong unattended when it is placed on a flame. Make sure to turn off the lights when you are no longer using them.
5) Never fill your bong with alcohol or paint thinner. Doing it can cause permanent damage to the bong and make it unusable.
6) Store all the bong pieces in a bag when not in use to be safe from dirt, grime, and dust.
7) Make sure to keep smoking utensils out of reach from children. They should not come in contact with bongs.
Smoking weed in a bong is always advantageous because it has many benefits. It will help you get higher, reduce the amount of smoke you inhale, and make a great way to enjoy weed. However, one needs to take good care of their bongs so they last longer.