Black garlic is an emerging superfood, gaining attention for its purported health benefits that range from providing anti-inflammatory properties to being a potential cancer-fighting agent. But what exactly is black garlic, and how do you make it? In this blog post, we will explore the various health benefits of black garlic as well as detail how you can make your own with simple ingredients and a few steps. Get ready to learn about the amazing benefits of black garlic and how to add it to your diet!
what is black garlic? Black garlic is a type of aged garlic that has been fermented for several weeks or months. It has a deep, rich flavour and a slightly sweeter taste than regular garlic. The fermentation process also makes it richer in antioxidants.
Black garlic is a type of fermented garlic that has been aged for several weeks or months. The fermentation process gives black garlic a sweeter, more intense flavour than regular garlic. It also turns the cloves a deep, almost black colour.
Black garlic has been used medicinally for centuries in Asian countries such as China and Korea. It is believed to have numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, boosting immunity, and fighting cancer.
Health benefits of black garlic
When it comes to garlic, the health benefits of black garlic are often overshadowed by its more popular counterpart, white garlic. However, black garlic is gaining popularity for its unique flavour and myriad of health benefits. Here are some of the most notable health benefits of black garlic:
- Boosts Immune System: Black garlic is rich in antioxidants and Allicin, which has been shown to boost the immune system.
- Fights Cancer: The antioxidants in black garlic have been shown to fight cancer cells and prevent their growth.
- Improves Cholesterol Levels: Black garlic can improve cholesterol levels by increasing HDL (good) cholesterol and lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Reduces Inflammation: The compounds in black garlic can help to reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Promotes Digestive Health: Black garlic is a natural prebiotic, which means it helps promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria. This can lead to improved digestion and overall gut health.
- Protects Brain Health: Black garlic can help protect the brain from oxidative stress and improve cognitive function.
- May Reduce Blood Pressure: Regular consumption of black garlic may help to reduce high blood pressure.
- Anti-Aging Properties: The antioxidants in black garlic can help to reduce the effects of ageing, such as wrinkles and age spots.
How to Make Black Garlic
Making black garlic at home is surprisingly easy. All you need is a head of fresh garlic, some patience, and a dark, dry place to store your finished product.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making black garlic:
- Peel all the cloves from a head of fresh garlic.
- Place the peeled cloves in a clean glass jar.
- Cover the cloves with olive oil or another type of cooking oil.
- Seal the jar tightly and store it in a dark, dry place for 6-8 weeks.
- After the fermentation process is complete, remove the cloves from the jar and enjoy your homemade black garlic!
Tips and Tricks for Making Perfectly Cooked Black Garlic in an Air Fryer
Black garlic is a type of aged garlic that has a deep, rich flavour. It is often used in Asian cuisine and can be found in specialty stores. Black garlic is made by fermenting whole heads of garlic in a controlled environment. The fermentation process breaks down the sugars in the garlic, resulting in a product that is about three times as sweet as regular garlic.
When cooking black garlic, it is important to use low heat so that the cloves do not burn. This can be easily accomplished in an air fryer. Simply preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then add the garlic cloves. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cloves are soft and fragrant. Remove from the air fryer and let cool before handling.
Black garlic can be used in any recipe that calls for regular garlic. It is especially good in stir-fries, pasta dishes, and soups. When substituting black garlic for regular garlic, use one clove of black garlic for every two cloves of regular garlic called for in the recipe.
Recipes with black garlic
There are many recipes that utilise black garlic as an ingredient. Here are some of our favourites:
Black garlic pasta: This dish is simple to make and is full of flavour. It can be made with any type of pasta, but we recommend using short, sturdy pasta like penne or rigatoni. Simply cook the pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, sauté some garlic in olive oil over medium heat until it becomes fragrant. Add in a can of crushed tomatoes and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes. Once the sauce is finished, toss it with the cooked pasta and serve with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Black garlic rice: This dish is a great way to use up leftover rice. Simply reheat the rice in a pan on the stove with a little bit of water or chicken broth. Once it’s heated through, add in some sautéed garlic and green onions. Give everything a good stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve as is or top with a fried egg for extra protein.
Black garlic soup: This soup is packed full of nutrients and has a deep, rich flavor. Start by sautéing some chopped onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil over medium heat until they’re softened. Add in cubed sweet potato and black garlic cloves and let everything cook for about 10 minutes more. Pour in chicken or vegetable stock and bring the soup to
Black garlic hummus: This recipe is a great way to use black garlic in a dip or spread. Simply combine black garlic, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve with pita bread or crackers.
Black garlic chicken: This recipe is a great way to use black garlic in a main dish. Simply combine chicken breasts, black garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in your air fryer and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with rice or pasta.
Black garlic shrimp: This recipe is a great way to use black garlic in a seafood dish. Simply combine shrimp, black garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in your air fryer and cook until the shrimp are cooked through. Serve with rice or pasta.
Black garlic is a great way to add flavour and nutrition to your meals. It has many health benefits, including improving gut health, boosting immunity, and reducing inflammation. Plus, it’s easy to make at home! All you need are some garlic cloves, olive oil and a few simple steps. With all of the potential benefits on offer from black garlic consumption, it’s definitely worth adding this unique ingredient to your regular diet rotation.