You may have already heard about an operating system called Linux. It isn’t popular among an average computer user like Microsoft and Apple IT products. But it has plenty of benefits in small circles. Today we’ll talk about why Linux is the best OS for the medical industry.
What is Linux and Its Main Advantages
Linux is a free and open-source operating system created in 1991. It was launched as a free alternative to commercial operating systems. The founder of the Linux kernel is Finnish-American developer Linus Torvalds. His numerous awards and achievements highlight that this software engineer made an innovative contribution to the modern IT industry.
Years have gone by, and Linux has started numerous versions. If this OS was originally used for desktop personal computers in previous years, then nowadays it is known as a leader for using mainframes and servers with data-intensive tasks.
The structure of Linux makes it compatible with many popular hardware platforms. It includes a kernel that controls the memory, central processing unit, and peripherals. This operating system is multifunctional but it doesn’t mean it takes huge resources for work. Linux requires only 8-16 Mb of Random Access Memory, 32 Mb of Flash Memory, and other basic technical requirements. Depending on the industry and the exact needs, your devices may require extra resources.
As a result, all the current benefits of Linux make it popular in many fields. This operating system is in demand among companies in electronics, finance, insurance, healthcare. Moreover, Linux is an extremely great solution for medicine. And there are rational reasons for such a choice among medical organizations.
Why Linux is Used in Medicine
The healthcare industry requires high-tech tools and instruments more than other industries. It is concerned with taking care of patients with any disease and concerns so takes responsibility for their wellbeing. At the same time, medicine does not only use modern technologies but also the quality of healthcare services influences its customers.
So compared to Microsoft IT products, the modern Linux solutions look more attractive for the medical industry. there are plenty of reasons for it:
– open-source nature of Linux allows to cut costs for development and support;
– the combination of GPOS and RTOS options make this OS perfect for a variety of medical products;
– the high level of security suits the sensitive data the healthcare industry must take care of.
As a result, Linux is a reasonable solution for the medical industry. Medical organizations use a variety of protection to keep their customers’ personal data safe including VPN for Linux. A high-quality Linux VPN is a must. All experts insist that medicine can rely only on VPN software Linux nowadays.
Take into account that only the best Linux software can provide a medical organization with essential and extended advantages. It means that working with top-quality developers and IT products guarantees planned results in medicine.
A good example is a wide usage and the importance of healthcare companies having a VPN, for instance, VeePN. By taking a quick glance at the medicare advantages and plan options, you may find the best solution. Usually, customers prefer companies that may guarantee the safety of hackers and other cybercriminals so medical organizations must do their best to cover not only medical cases but also potential issues with cybersecurity.
The Key Advantages of Linux in Healthcare
Be sure this open-source operating system means plenty of benefits for the whole medical industry and the exact organizations in particular. Let’s just focus now on the key options. Among them are the following advantages:
– custom solutions. The general flexibility of Linux leans to easy customization. This OS includes a variety of prepared options and designs that will suit any needs in this industry.
– low-cost choice. Using Linux and other open-source operating systems is very beneficial from the commercial point of view. The investments are required but there is no need to pay for licenses;
– improved security. Linux is proud of its security level and healthcare organizations need exactly such guarantees. Besides, every security issue is detected and fixed fast;
– full compatibility. Linux doesn’t have spectacular technical requirements and can work on the basic characteristics. Also, it is portable and doesn’t cause any issue when you need to change your hardware;
– focus on the future. Using Linux is always a long-term strategy. It will bring more advantages to the medical industry in the future.
The only concern for using Linux software in medicine is the certification. According to international standards in the USA and EU, the software vendors are required to provide medical organizations with fully-documented IT products with full compatibility to current requirements. As a result, while choosing an open-source OS it’s a must step to prove software meets all actual standards.
Long Live Linux in Modern Medicine
It’s fair to say that the popularity of Linux keeps growing in the medical industry. Linux-based devices are in demand, and there are plenty of important reasons for it. On the one hand, customers in healthcare will feel safe about their private information. On the other hand, companies in the medical industry may easily find customized solutions for their operations and cut costs.
As a result, this open-source operating system brings only mutual benefits for both sides. The combination of working with sensitive patients’ data and cost-saving operating solutions lets medical organizations reach their missions and goals for customers’ sake!