Electricity is an essential part of your home. In most cases, the wiring is hidden in the walls and you simply operate the switches without worrying about the electricity of the wiring in your home. In most cases there are no issues, the electricity and associated appliances do their job.
However, issues with your electrical system will increase the risk of you receiving an electric shock, which could be fatal. In addition, the arcing of power between wires is likely to cause a short circuit and can even increase the risk of a fire starting. You may not realize it but house fires kill more people than bush fires and other natural hazards.
That’s why you need these tips to prevent an electrical fire at home:
Get Your Electrics Checked
The most important thing you can do is contact your local Sydney electrician and ask them to inspect your electrical installation. This should be done annually. The electrician will be able to identify any issues in your current wring system and replace faulty components.
They will also be able to give you advance warning regarding any upcoming issues, allowing you to prepare financially for them. After all, replacing water heaters is not the cheapest option but it does need doing periodically.
Don’t Do The Work Yourself
It’s important to remember that most electrical work at home cannot be done by yourself, you need to use a qualified electrician. This is in accordance with the law and is designed to reduce the risk of death and other electrical injuries and issues at home.
It’s safer and less of a fire risk to get the professionals to do the work.
It’s easy to overload a circuit in your home and increases the risk of a fire. All you have to do is plug in a splitter or an adapter to increase the number of items plugged in. While this may seem safe every circuit in your home is rated for a certain level of power and number of sockets. Going over those limits means that the circuit is likely to be overloaded.
When a circuit is overloaded the wiring will get excessively warm, potentially melting the protective outer sheath. The result is short circuits and a high risk of fire.
If you haven’t got enough sockets, get an electrician to add more.
Don’t Coil Extension Cables
While it is best to void using extension cables there are times when they are the only option. If you must use a cable make sure it is fully unwound. Electricity generates heat and when a cable remains coiled it traps the heat, resulting in a rapid build-up of that hat. This melts the protective wiring and increases the risk of a fire.
Keep Things Unplugged
Another common issue is when items are left plugged in and not in use. Power variances or even an electrical storm can cause a surge. In sensitive appliances, this can cause internal components to burst into flames. As fire spreads quickly it is easier to avoid the issue by unplugging items when they are not in use.