Learn how to clean a carpet to swiftly remove dirt and stains. For excellent results, treat your carpets at home with baking soda, carpet shampoo, and more.
Knowing how to properly clean a carpet is vital for maintaining a nice house. From daily grime to embarrassing grass, coffee, or wine stains (you know the drill), carpeted floors take a beating and require a bit extra care.
That is not to imply that you cannot clean your own carpet at home, with or without the best carpet cleaning products. Because you can and you should, if only to see the incredible impact that baking soda, vinegar, and the best carpet cleaning products can have on this soft layer beneath your feet.
How to Clean an Area carpet
ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS explains, “Regular carpet cleaning can help maintain it in good condition, saving you money in the long term and reducing smells and allergy or bacterial buildup.”
Maintaining your carpet in good condition and extending its lifespan is facilitated by routine cleaning. A home cannot appear clean if its carpets are not clean, and frequent vacuuming will eliminate dirt and dust from your carpet. You will continue to enjoy the appearance and texture of your carpet and be proud to show off your house.
Consider if your carpet is comprised of synthetic materials, wool, or plant-based fibres in order to select the appropriate cleaning solutions and processes.
Below, we discuss removing carpet stains, carpet washing, and other methods for revitalising the appearance of your carpets.
How frequently should a carpet be cleaned?
Cleaning your carpet is an excellent strategy to reduce allergies and dust mites. It can even minimise the symptoms of hay fever during the season. In a perfect environment, you would use your finest vacuum cleaner every day; nevertheless, this is especially important for large families with dogs and children.
According to ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS, bedroom carpets can be 10 times dirtier than a toilet seat; thus, they must be cleaned often. At least once every week, vacuum your carpets thoroughly and renew them with natural cleaning solutions. Before using a carpet cleaner, pre-treat stains with a stain-removal solution as soon as possible and allow them to dry completely.
You will extend the life of your carpet by years. And cleaning is considered exercise, correct? Then, in terms of a thorough cleaning, you should wash your carpets using a household carpet shampoo machine every three to four months. Again, if you have active children and dogs, you may want to clean your carpet more frequently than every three months.
WALL-TO-WALL CARPET SURFACE CLEANING
It is vital to select the correct pile height setting for your carpet type while using a vacuum. If yours is composed of synthetic or plant-based fibres, you can move in different directions while keeping the beater brush engaged to remove extra dirt. If your carpet is made of wool or has a dense pile, you should avoid using a beater brush and work more carefully in the direction of the fibres.
Obviously, prior to cleaning your carpet, you should clear the area as thoroughly as possible. Chairs should be stacked upside down on the table, rugs should be removed (we have a separate article on how to clean rugs, FYI), and any little things should be removed. It is essential to prevent tiny items from being sucked into the vacuum cleaner and causing harm.
Select the proper carpet cleaning materials and technique.
To thoroughly clean a carpet, a quality carpet cleaning product is required. You will also need a machine designed to provide a thorough cleaning without wetting or harming the carpet. If you do not like to clean your carpet manually, you may rent one of the top carpet cleaning machines, such as the ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS in Dublin, if you do not wish to purchase one. If you are a resident of Ireland and want to know how much it costs to rent a carpet cleaner, we have a comprehensive information for you.
Consider the composition of your carpet while choosing a carpet wash. If possible, get a shampoo with a carpet protector, since this will preserve your carpet against subsequent stains. Choose a wool-safe cleaning solution for wool carpets.
Thus, you will know that the product has been tested and authorised for carpet treatment, especially on wool (all Vax cleaners are wool safe).
If you wish to renew your carpet or clean it by hand, use the vinegar and baking soda procedures below.
Cleansing Polypropylene Carpets
What is poly, you might ask? Also known as Olefin, this is the synthetic substance from which the majority of carpets are constructed, however you should confirm this with local shop. Here, Eco Clean Solutions gives a detailed method for cleaning a carpet constructed from this material. This solution helps remove tenacious stains such as pen, red wine, and dirt.
“Only 100 percent polypropylene carpets are suitable for use with a bleach mixture,” states ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS.
If you are unsure of your carpet’s composition, you should always consult the shop. Bleach may remove colour from carpets made of wool, corduroy, or any other material, so if you don’t want spots, your carpet must be made entirely of polypropylene.
You will require:
- Rubber gloves
- Face shield
- squirt bottle
- Brush or sponge for dishwashing
- Always use rubber gloves and a mask when working with bleach to protect your hands and lungs from the corrosive fumes. Whenever feasible, open a window.
- In a spray bottle, combine 50 percent thin household bleach and 50 percent tap water.
- Cover the stain evenly and let it sit for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse with water.
- If necessary, use a brush to remove any tenacious dirt.
Remove stains and impressions on the spot.
You should begin with stains. Whether you’re dealing with mud (thanks, kids), blood, a coffee stain, or red wine on the carpet (oops), if it’s wet, blot it with a paper towel to remove as much of it as possible, but don’t overdo it, as this can actually cause the stain to spread. Then, use your preferred technique of stain removal to remove the mark while it is still fresh. Act swiftly.
If your carpet stain is dried, use a blunt scraper or a stiff brush to dislodge the particles, vacuum, then treat the stain and shampoo the carpet as described before.
Attempt to eliminate any dents or impressions made on the carpet by heavy furniture by wiping an ice cube over the region.
Among our favourite carpet stain cleaning techniques are:
- Consider using an enzymatic stain remover like Strong Odor, which has over 82,000 positive ratings on Amazon, if the stain in issue is of organic origin, and especially if it was caused by a pet accident. It has been effective on a variety of stains, from food stains to pet urine. As with other stain-removing treatments, apply it as soon as feasible.
- Use a pre-treatment to eliminate any obvious stubborn stains and spots before doing a thorough carpet cleaning. A remedy would be optimal. This will make it easier for your carpet cleaner to completely remove the stain.
As soon as you purchase a stain remover, test it on an isolated patch of carpet. This will save you from potentially destroying your carpet in a panic in the event of a spill.
And, patience is essential, so let your stain remover of choice about 15 minutes to perform its magic. It is important not to overwet the carpet, since this might cause the underlay’s pigment to bleed through.
How to Clean a Carpet with Sodium Bicarbonate
To manually clean your carpet with baking soda, apply it liberally, spray it with a fine layer of water, and let it sit for a few hours. Once dry, vacuum.
Even if you don’t want a thorough cleaning, cleaning with baking soda or bicarbonate of soda is an excellent natural deodorizer and is suitable for refreshing a stinky carpet. Simply sprinkle it on your carpets for at least 15 minutes, but ideally an hour, before to cleaning, and the odour will go.
How to Clean with Vinegar a Carpet
Vinegar cleaning is an excellent natural method for disinfecting a carpet and removing stains and odours. Always perform a spot test to see if your carpet can withstand the stain. Create a solution consisting of one part white vinegar and three parts water.
Use a plant mister to spray it onto the carpet and let it to operate for a few minutes. Following the guideline that you should never, ever scrub at a stain, blot the spot with a clean microfiber towel. Vacuum carefully.
A Guide on Using a Carpet Cleaner
- Prepare the carpet washing machine: If you are using a carpet washer for the first time, read the instructions carefully and verify that everything appears to be in working order. Check the filter and brush bar to ensure they are clean. If there are any evident issues with the equipment, review the instructions.
- To begin, fill the water tank of your carpet cleaner with warm water and your preferred cleaning solution. Unplug the machine, then plug it back in using an outlet as close to the door as feasible, as this will be your final destination.
- Begin washing the carpet at the farthest corner of the room and work your way back toward the entrance. This prevents your socks from becoming wet! Move in a back-and-forth motion while gently depressing the trigger to spray the cleaning solution. Release the trigger and pull the washer over the carpet in reverse. Repeat up to four times in each section as you proceed backwards and forwards.
- Allow the carpet to dry: To dry the carpet, open the windows and ventilate the room. If the temperature is too low, turn on the central heating for a few hours to expedite the drying process.
Evaluating CARPET CLEANERS
We evaluated four carpet cleaning methods to see which was most effective in removing red wine and spaghetti sauce stains. These consist of:
- Carpet Cleaner Vax Power Max Platinum
- Disappear carpet mousse
- An environmentally friendly baking soda solution
- Well, it is an urban legend to remove red wine.
Watch our little video (located above this page) to find out which carpet stain remover performed the best, as well as for helpful advice on removing carpet stains. It is also worth noting that we adored the Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover in the United States.
CARPET STEAMATIC CLEANING
Utilize your finest steam cleaner on both hard floors and carpeted surfaces to get the most out of it. Here, ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS explains how to use this cleaning device to restore the pristine appearance of your carpets.
You will require:
- Waxed paper, aluminium foil, and wooden blocks (N.B: you might not need these)
- A dustpan with a brush
- What is a vacuum cleaner?
- A steam cleaner
- Remove everything, including the furniture, from the room (if too heavy to move, place squares of wax paper, foil, or wood blocks under the legs to protect them from the moisture).
- Dust the baseboards and thoroughly clean the carpet.
- Follow the cleaning directions for your steam cleaner.
- Beginning in a place distant from the entryway will prevent you from treading on soggy carpet. Do not utilise vacuum-like quick, back-and-forth strokes.
- Allow it to dry thoroughly before replacing any furnishings.
How to Remove Pet Hair from Carpet
The finest vacuums for pet hair perform just as advertised, sucking up fur, fluff, and tangled hair. As ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS shows, there are other ways to clean a carpet if you own a furry friend if you cannot afford a specialised machine.
You will require:
- Lint roller
- What is a vacuum cleaner?
- Fabric conditioner (optional)
- Rubber gloves
- Window squeegee
- Use a lint roller to remove any pet hairs on the surface.
- The carpet should be vacuumed to eliminate as much hair as possible. Try sprinkling the carpet with a solution of fabric softener and water if you’re not removing much pet hair. Allow this to dry, then vacuum it again to remove more hair.
- Additionally, rubber gloves are helpful for eliminating pet hair. Simply use gloves and massage the carpet vigorously.
- A window squeegee is also an excellent tool for eliminating pet hair. The hair may be readily removed by dragging a squeegee along the length and width of the carpet.
Grooming gloves (excellent for spoiling your dog) and pet hair brooms may also prevent pet hair from covering your carpet.
How to Remove Fleas and Other Insects
Whether you want to know how to get rid of fleas or carpet beetles, you can be confident that this annoying bug problem is more prevalent than you may assume. Therefore, there is no cause for embarrassment or shame.
In general, pet owners are more likely to have them, and the proximity of the finest dog beds to the carpet provides the ideal, warm, and humid breeding habitat for the insects (gross.)
Thankfully, Eco Clean Solutions offers a number of effective techniques to eliminate them from your carpet floors.
“To exterminate fleas from your house, apply an anti-flea carpet treatment that will not harm your carpet,” advises Eco Clean Solutions. It should be sprayed in every room and on the carpet, but especially in every corner!’
Also treat your furniture and other areas where you suspect fleas may hide, such as pet beds and toys. Ensure that your pet has been treated for fleas beforehand, as else the problem will persist. If the flea infestation in your house persists, you should hire a professional carpet cleaning service.
How to Remove Wax Stains from Carpet
The greatest candles can fill our rooms with a beautiful scent and instantly create ambience. However, if hot wax splashes on your carpet and then cools and solidifies, that sensuous, low-light effect will quickly be ruined.
The trick to removing candle wax from a carpet is acting swiftly with ice and your finest steam iron.
You will require:
- Ice cubes
- An iron
- A carrying bag (a carrier bag will do)
- A dull cooking knife (a butter knife is best)
- Clothing and brown paper bags
- Fill an ice bag with plastic. Place this immediately on the wax stain and allow it to freeze for a few minutes.
- Remove the plastic bag and begin scraping the carpet with a rough knife to remove the wax.
- Place a clean towel or a brown paper bag right on top of the stained carpet.
- Press carefully with a heated iron on top of the paper bag or fabric. The substance should absorb the wax and remove it from the carpet.
- Repeat until no more wax remains.
What, no iron? We can also demonstrate how to remove wax from carpet using your finest hair dryer.
How to Remove Tea Stains from Carpeting:
You don’t have to be British to appreciate a good cup of tea, but English morning tea is among the greatest hot beverages (not that we’re biassed!). However, the tannic content of tea leaves can stain your carpet if not addressed.
Here, ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS explains how to clean a carpet if you’ve spilled a beverage on the floor.
You will require:
- A kitchen towel or cotton towel
- distilled white vinegar
- White fabric
- Using a paper or cotton towel, remove any excess by dabbing the stain.
- Blot the liquid until it is no longer absorbed by the fabric.
- A modest amount of water should be applied to the discoloured area. Continue to absorb the liquid.
- If the discoloration persists, use white vinegar diluted 1:1 with water using a sponge. Test the vinegar in an inconspicuous area first, since it may bleach the carpet.
- Let it settle for 5–10 minutes.
- Rinse the liquid and absorb it with a clean white towel.
If coffee is more of a concern, we also have a guide on how to remove coffee stains from wood coffee tables and carpet.
How to Remove Chocolate Spots from Carpet
Our taste receptors are actually hardwired to enjoy chocolate, regardless of our age.
If something made with cocoa has spilled on the floor or melted into your carpet, clean it as soon as possible before the cocoa becomes permanently embedded.
This is a useful reference throughout the Easter, Halloween, and Christmas seasons, when candy and sweets are abundant.
You will require:
- A fresh cloth
- icy water
- Cleaning liquid (dish soap)
- Soft brush
- Utilize a clean towel and cold water to blot.
- Remove as much as possible of the discoloration.
- Cleansing liquid should be blotted onto the spot using a fresh cloth.
- To remove the discoloration, use tiny, circular movements.
- Remove any excess moisture using a towel. Use a gentle brush when necessary. Let it dry.
How to Remove Crayon Marks from Carpet:
There is nothing more frightening than a youngster who has become silent. The writing is practically on the wall; there is likely a mist of baby powder someplace or graffiti on your property.
However, what about crayon wax that has been drawn or walked on the carpet? If your cutie has to use the Crayola set, perform the following:
You will require:
- “White spirit” or “mineral spirit”
- A fresh cloth
- Paper towels or kitchen towels
- Soft brush
- White or mineral spirit should be applied on a clean cloth and then placed over the stain.
- After two minutes, blot the surface. Continue until the stain is no longer transferred to the fabric.
- Apply a small amount of remover on a cloth, then blot. Repeat until the stain no longer transfers to the fabric.
- Reapplying clean water to eliminate any remaining residue.
- Using a white cloth or paper towel, dry the spot.
- To align the cut-pile carpet’s pile, brush it with a soft brush. When everything else fails, locate a certified carpet cleaner in Dublin.
Cleaning Carpets: Avoid These Mistakes
Now that we’ve provided you with several carpet cleaning suggestions, here are a few things you should avoid doing:
- Never use white vinegar straight to a discoloration. Never pour straight white vinegar over a stain, since it will just soak in, spread the stain, and potentially harm the fibres.
- There are several so-called cleaning techniques that promise a spritz of hairspray can remove pen or ink stains, but this is not the case. It can actually harm carpet fibres and collect dirt.
- Never use bleach on natural carpets: If you use bleach on a wool carpet, you will end up with pale spots. If you are uncertain about your carpet’s composition, mix a bleach-water solution and use an old toothbrush to examine a small area in a corner.
- No, white wine cannot be used to remove a red wine stain; this is a lie. Try using shaving cream to clean instead.
- Use neither hot nor cold water to remove carpet stains: A moist towel may appear to be the logical solution, but it might really cause more harm than good. Particularly hot water might cause a stain to spread and penetrate deeper into the carpet pile.
- Do not massage excessively: Excessive rubbing can actually damage the fibres, so avoid going overboard.
How often should I perform a deep carpet cleaning?
According to ECO CLEAN SOLUTIONS, “carpet offers texture, colour, and warmth to a house, but regular usage can develop stains and trap dust and allergies.”
Although frequent vacuuming is the initial stage in carpet cleaning, a yearly deep cleaning is suggested to prolong the life of your carpet and keep your house appearing clean.