In the beginning, the ingredients list on the back label of bottled beer is generally: barley malt, rice, hops, yeast, and water. Later, the rice was replaced by starch, and then the starch disappeared, and the syrup directly replaced the first two, which is incomprehensible. At the same time, I want to find out and analyze it from two perspectives.
- Although the rice is basically broken rice, it is understandable that it has to be crushed into smaller particles by a pulverizer in the end, but broken rice is different from whole grain rice, and the price is much lower;
- Rice crushing also needs to be equipped with a pulverizer, which increases the investment in equipment, occupies the area of the workshop, and adds more processes in the production;
- Because malt contains enough enzymes to decompose extra starch, unsprouted grains are used to replace part of malt, accounting for about 15-30%. These grains that are cheaper than malt are called auxiliary materials, and there are many kinds, such as corn, rice , sorghum, barley, wheat, etc.; rice is commonly used because the consumption of rice as a staple food increases, and the leftover material (broken rice) will increase proportionally, and the amount is sufficient, and its starch content is high (85-90%);
- The addition of rice and other auxiliary materials is nothing more than converting the starch contained in it into sugar, but this needs to be heated and gelatinized by adding water to the gelatinization pot, and then pumped to the mashing pot to combine with the malt mash in the saccharification pot. For the conversion of amylase, there is an additional configuration of a gelatinization pot, and it has to consume steam to heat, which is a considerable expense;
- In order to save the crushing process, starch can be directly used for gelatinization, and then pumped into the saccharification pot and converted into sugar together with the malt. It is better to save the gelatinization pot and directly buy the concentrated syrup, which saves energy and environmental protection, saves money and occupies less space. .
Second, the process angle:
- The gelatinization and the crushing of the auxiliary materials in the front take up time. In 1 hour, 3 batches can produce an extra batch of wort;
- The syrup is directly added to the boiling pot, the amount of saccharification material and the filtered grains layer are reduced, the consumption of water and steam is relatively reduced, the filtration speed of the grains is relatively fast, and the process time is saved;
- The process control is more flexible, whether it is enough syrup! Regardless of whether the filtered wort does not meet expectations, it may be added syrup through the boiling process to find it, a simple and efficient method!
The above only mentioned the advantages of adding syrup, but there are also some disadvantages. For example, the transportation of syrup is not as small as that of starch. Large breweries are equipped with syrup storage tanks. One can can fit a tanker. It has to be equipped with a rotor pump to be able to transport, which is also a large investment, but it is still worth it compared to the consumption of gelatinization energy all year round;
Although the proportion of fermentable sugars can be increased, it must be noted that sugars cannot bring protein to the wort, which may lower the amino nitrogen content in the wort, which is unfavorable for the growth of yeast and thus affects fermentation; and the syrup cannot increase the Wort aroma substances.
No sugar, generally sucrose and glucose, will be added in the secondary process of craft beer bottles. A small amount of yeast in the fermentation broth of atmospheric fermentation is used to decompose the added sugar to generate CO2 to carbonate the beer to achieve the purpose of killing the mouth. ; It is worth mentioning that the added amount must be calculated, otherwise there will be a danger of frying the bottle!
If you plan to build a new commercial brewery, our engineers will provide you with professional and completed solutions in the shortest time. If you want to save budget, you can also choose second-hand commercial brewery equipment. We want to tell you that the price of our commercial brewery equipment is competitive. Welcome to contact us.
Micet Fermentation tanks:https://www.micetbrewing.com/Fermentation_tanks/